Thursday, December 29, 2011

Code School: A place to actually learn

After my rummaging through MIT's online failure.  I some how managed to find my self on this site called C<>de school.. I feel as if I've seen this around but never dug into it.  Well I did and its great!  I'm super into stuff like this, I signed up got right into a lesson about rubys on rails, which I thought might be boring but they made it super fun.  It is all incorporated around Zombies and creating databases and pulling from cemeteries and such.  They use analogies surrounding this context so it is really easy to follow.  This is not the biggest reason I'm stoked about this.  I'm not really into programming that much.  If I tried I'm sure I could download Ruby but would probably destroy my mac trying to get it to work.  This is where it gets awesome for you web nerds out there.  They have managed to just use it online with in their courses.  So you sign up, watch a video that is no longer than 10 minutes, you download the pdf with the overview of what you just watched and they give you instructions and assignments you must complete in order to go on to the next level.  You get points and prizes which is always awesome, and get to learn something I thought  I would never understand or care to understand.  They have an assortment of courses that if you pay 25 a month you get a slew of files and such.  Something you should check out for sure if your interested in dwelling in javaScript, html5 css3, ect.  And for being a heavy programming site it has phenomenal design which kept me interested.  Check it out at codeschool.com seems like they are somewhat tied into treehouse.com which is another great achievement based web development site that is also well designed.



Other great resources for beginners going into design/web development.

tutsplus.com  | 25 bucks a month | a ton of source files and has anything design and web related, even mobile which is nice.
lynda.com | 25 - 40 bucks a month depending if you want files and sources or not.
teamtreehouse.com  | 25 bucks a month, great site with divided step by step courses
codeschool.com | 25 bucks a month, another great site with step by step solutions

if your interested in css stuff
hit up

css-tricks.com  | chris coyier is really down to earth and has a bunch of tricks up his sleeve.
Categorizing and pulling ids using Ruby on Rails like a boss

front page of C<>de school

the current course offered at c<>de school

SUPER DEAL!

Just in case you are picky.

Course is separated by section with courtesy video and in browser exercise for each step.  Each level has 5-6 steps overviewing the level.

No comments:

Post a Comment